The first electric light plan in Loveland, CO. was established in 1900 by Lee J. Kelim. He located the plant in a mill at what is now considered 107 – 109 West 2nd Street in Loveland. A coal-fired steam boiler generated electricity, which he sold to the city for the purpose of lighting intersections and businesses during the evening hours.
In 1905 Kelim sold the mill and relocated the power plant to the corner of 2nd and Railroad Avenue in Loveland, where he established The Loveland Light, Heat, and Power Company, which became The Western Light and Power Company, and the Public Service Company, a subsidiary of Xcel, Inc.
Nearby Kelim, CO. was named for Lee J. Kelim.