Washburn Station, established in 1864 by settler John Washburn, served as the beginnings of a new settlement in northern Colorado. In 1867, because of the settlement, John Douty built a flour mill near the stage station, and the new town was known as “Old Saint Louis” or ‘Big Thompson’. In 1874 a plat was filed for the community, with the name “Winona” – for John Washburn’s daughter, Winona.
The stage station did not last long because in 1869 The Transcontinental Railroad was undertaken and the need for long distance travel by stagecoach and wagon was eliminated.
“Old Saint Louis” remains within the boundaries of present-day Loveland, CO., by way of a street name.