This is the State of Colorado. This is The Colorado Archaeological Society, in Denver, CO.:
The Cherry Creek Arts Festival is July 6 – July 8, 2018, at Cherry Creek North, in Denver, CO. The 2018 festival will feature more than 250 national and international artists in 13 media categories. For more information:
In 1857 gold was discovered in Cherry Creek, which is located in present-day Denver, CO. The find resulted in thousands of people traveling to the Rocky Mountain region to strike it rich. One group of fortune hunters left the path followed by so many others and camped near Red Rocks, at the mouth of Boulder Canyon, in 1858. After establishing a mining camp they began prospecting Boulder, Four Mile, St. Vrain, and Sunshine Creeks. In mid-January 1859, on Four Mile Creek they discovered gold. The location, called “12 Mile Diggin’s”, was the start of a large gold lode operation, and also established the town of Gold Hill, CO.
In a wide spot in Four Mile Canyon, Wall Street, CO. was established and endured.
Wall Street owed its origins to Gardner P. Wood, in 1886, when the region was named “Sugar Loaf”, after the nearby mountain. Disagreements among residents, however, resulted in two distinct communities, with one located at the base of Sugar Loaf Mountain and one on the summit.
Even with the parting of ways another disagreement ensued: Where the post office should be located. For several years the community established on the mountain was called “South Sugar Loaf” and the community at the foot of the mountain was called ‘Sugar Loaf’. In the winter of 1895, to resolve the ongoing battle two post offices were opened.
One post office served the lower community and supported the upper community. But interesting events waited: In the spring of 1897 a man named Charles W. Caryl arrived to the scene and purchased a property located on Four Mile Creek. The area was named “Wall Street”. With little time wasted Mr. Caryl established The Wall Street Townsite Company, The Nancy Gold Mining and Milling Company, The Wall Street Tunnel Company, and The Gold Extraction Mining and Supply Company. The town of Wall Street was platted under the name of Harry S. Badger, who was the superintendent of the mining and supply company.
The companies owned by Mr. Caryl resulted in him building The Wall Street Hotel, The Wall Street Mercantile, and The Assay Office.
Despite the economic and financial promise of his businesses it began to fail in 1899 when a lawsuit was filed against him when a woman named Mary Williams, aged 70, charged that he had swindled her out of more than $100,000. Although she passed before the matter was resolved in the court Mr. Caryl settled out of court with her family by surrendering ownership of several mines and all of the Wall Street town site.
By the end of 1902 he had sold or lost most of his property in Wall Street. By 1907 all of his properties had passed into new ownership and proved worthless, resulting in a bankruptcy.
The Assay Office is the only structure in Boulder County built Mr. Caryl and the only remaining building that represents The Wall Street Gold Extraction Company Mill. Visitors can tour the Wall Street town site.
This is the State of Colorado. This is Russell’s Smokehouse, in Denver, CO.:
This is the State of Colorado. This is The Salt and Grinder, in Denver, CO.:
This is the State of Colorado. This is The St. Kilian’s Cheese Shop, in Denver, CO.:
Visitors to Estes Park, CO. and recent newcomers may not be aware of the history as they pass by The Park Theatre Mall but it is a testament to what can be accomplished in a small mountain village.
The Park Theatre Mall began as the headquarters for The Estes Park Transportation Company, established by F.O. Stanley in 1908, who intended to transport passengers from Longmont and Lyons, CO. with the assumption that they would stay at his establishment, The Stanley Hotel.
Occupying three lots on Elkhorn Avenues that backed onto Fall River the business originally contained the baggage and ticket office and space for the team of steam automobiles known as “The Stanley Steamer”, including the twelve-passenger Stanley Mountain Wagon, which would revolutionize mountain transportation in the region.
F.O. Stanley sold The Estes Park Transportation Company in 1916 to Roe Emery of Denver, CO., who also believed on mass transit, and who wanted to expand his business, The Rocky Mountain Transportation Company.
In 1919 Emery secured an exclusive government franchise to transport tourists into and out of nearby Rocky Mountain National Park. As his business grew he required more room. The solution was to move the buildings on the property together and remodeled them to create one structure literally under one roof. The entrance for the new building was on Elkhorn Avenue, and the concrete floor of the structure was extended over Fall River. In this space the business offices, the repair facilities, and the parking area were located, along with dormitory room for the drivers, who transported visitors and guests from Union Station in Denver and other Front Range communities.
Local historians offer the controversial opinion that Emery created the landfill needed to support the new building complex with the discarded remains of the Stanley Steamers he had acquired in his original purchase, and replaced them with White Motor Company touring cars. Reportedly, when F.O. Stanley learned of what he had done he was not kind with his response, and banned Emery from his hotel for a time.