Loveland, CO. owed much in its early days to David Barnes, who established a flour mill in the area, with his wife, Sarah. They previously lived in Golden, CO., and acquired 320 acres north of the Big Thompson River, and between Namaqua and St. Louis. Barnes moved to the Loveland area in part because his friend, William A.H. Loveland, told him that a newly-constructed rail line would pass through the area, bringing prosperity.
Barnes raised wheat on his farm, but found time to survey and plat a new town on an 80-acre site near the surveyed line for the railroad that passed through his wheat field. In 1877 he donated a portion of his farm to the railroad for a right-of-way, and by December 1877 the railroad had established a depot.
In the spring of 1878 development of the town of Loveland began. With development came changes, including the arrival of merchants from nearby St. Louis who decided Loveland was more to their liking. Some made this known by moving their businesses and buildings to the new town site. On May 11, 1881 the residents of Loveland voted to incorporate. Many wanted the new town to be named for Mr. Barnes, who had been so instrumental in establishing – Barnesville, but he declined the honor, and requested it be named for his good friend, W.A.H. Loveland.
In 1886 Mr. Barnes, whom many called “Uncle Dave” passed away. His original home remains, and is a private residence.