This is the State of Colorado. This is The Shop-All, in Yuma, CO.:
One of the first buildings on Elkhorn Avenue in Estes Park, CO. was built in 1905 – 1906 by Samuel Service. Service, a native of Ireland’s County Antrim, came to Estes Park from nearby Lyons, CO., where he had owned a grocery business and quarry and served as mayor.
Service had previously purchased the William T. Park General Store located on Elkhorn Avenue, which was the first business to be open year-round. With success in hand he decided to expand and when the opportunity to relocate to a larger property was available he moved to the corner of Elkhorn Avenue and Virginia Drive.
The Sam Service Store, recognized for its frescoed front and sign “Sam’l Service General Merchandise” painted across the roof, provided the focal point for the Estes Park business district for more than two decades.
Many locals favored the business because it also served as the local gathering spot, especially in the cold winter months and the pot-bellied stove inside was more than appealing.
Sam Service operated his business until 1928. Over the years it was renamed “Honor Brite Grocery Store” and became the first Safeway location in Estes Park in 1938.
More recently the business became known as “The Coffee Bar”, and like Service’s business, it was a local favorite.
A group of Colorado business groups has announced its intention to push for a tax hike for roads in the State of Colorado, because they claim that at least six billion dollars is needed for transportation projects.
If the proposal is approved for the ballot in November 2018 and if voters approve the measure the state sales tax increase by .62 percent, or supposedly generate more than $750 million dollars a year, starting in 2019. Over a period of twenty years, with interest, the six billion dollar bond issuance would cost taxpayers more than nine billion dollars.
Groups and organizations that advocate the increase include the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce and Club 20, an association of counties in western Colorado.
According to the supporters of the proposal the revenue generated would result in forty-five percent going to state highway projects, forty percent to local governments, and fifteen percent to alternate forms of transportation, including mass transit.
The proposal to generate funding for public roads and transportation may have competition on the ballot. One proposal comes from the Independence Institute, which supports borrowing three and a half billion dollars for roads in Colorado, without raising taxes. Another proposal would borrow $2.34 billion without new taxes required.
According to all proposals the State of Colorado is expecting at least nine billion dollars in public transportation needs over the next decade.
Visitors to Estes Park may pause and notice the stone ruins on the knoll behind and above The Municipal Building on Elkhorn Avenue. Curious travelers may want to explore the ruins and are allowed to do so.
The stone structure was once the home of journalist Al Birch, who visited Estes Park in 1902, when he was twenty years old. With two other visitors to the area he worked to help cut a trail to Bear Lake, in Rocky Mountain National Park. During his stay he decided to make Estes Park his summer home, and proceeded to build his home on the knoll, which was completed in 1907. Mr. Birch called the resulting structure “Jacob’s Ladder” because when sunlight refracted through the leaded-glass front door it reminded him of Joseph’s biblical coat of many colors.
Estes Park stonemason Carl Piltz was engaged to do the stonework for the house, and would gain fame for the many fireplaces he built throughout Estes Park. Despite his work the building had problems unknown to Piltz or Birch: The carpenter contracted to do the interior work ran floor joists under the fireplace with only four inches of cement above the timbers. In December 1907 the joists, heated by the firebox, caught fire, destroying the house.
The house known as “Jacob’s Ladder” was not rebuilt because Birch could not justify the expense. Despite the ruin condition it remains a historic and visible landmark in the community, and is a favorite of visitors to the adjacent twenty-acre property now called “Knoll – Willows”, where a nature tail connects the ruins to a small parking lot located across from The Stanley Hotel. Additionally, The Estes Park Valley Land Trust holds a conservation easement on the land, ensuring future protection for the natural beauty and the wildlife which resides on the property.
After the destructive fire Al Birch built another summer home on the property, below the cliff, on Black Canyon Creek. Conventional, it has been preserved and expresses an example of mountain resort architecture.
This is the State of Colorado. This is The San Luis Valley Pizza Company on Wheels, in Alamosa, CO.
The Stanley Power Plant in Estes Park, CO. has had an important role in the development of the village and its infrastructure, and has also contributed to the tourism trade.
Built in 1909 by F.O. Stanley for The Stanley Hotel, which was marketed as “all electric”, The Stanley Power Plant was enlarged several times over the three decades following its construction. Initially there was one generator powered by a waterwheel. Water to drive the turbine was provided by a pipe leading from an intake on the north bank of Fall River, at Cascade Lake, approximately 5,300 feet upriver of the plant, and descended more than 400 feet to the plant. Mr. Stanley constructed a wood-frame building to protect the unit from the elements, and that remains the core of the current structure.
Nearby another housing facility was built for the plant’s operator. The total cost of the plant and the equipment was just under $70,000.
Despite the opportunity it offered through technology it had problems from its beginnings. For example, Fall River could not provide enough water year-round to meet the rising demand for electricity. In 1921, in an attempt to improve the capacity, a second generator and turbine were installed in a room which had been added to the northwest side of the original building. In 1931, when a third unit – a diesel engine and a generator – were added the building was expanded in the form of a 28-by-15 foot addition to the west, resulting in the structure that exists today. In 1938 a fourth unit consisting of a diesel engine and generator was added to the operations.
In 1928 the Public Service Company of Colorado purchased the plant, and in 1945 the Town of Estes Park acquired the property.
The Stanley Power Plant operated until the morning of July 15, 1982, when the flood waters from the breached dam at Lawn Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park overwhelmed it. A wall inside the plant that remains for visitors, stopped working when the disaster occurred. Like The Estes Park Fish Hatchery The Stanley Power Plant ceased operation because of the disaster. Despite the outcome the Town of Estes Park and the Colorado State Historical Fund have worked to restore the buildings for visitors. Today it is part of the Estes Park Museum holdings, offering tours and information about hydropower and the history of the plant within the history of Estes Park.
The Stanley Power Plant is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This is the State of Colorado. This is The Montezuma Orchard Restoration Project, in Cortez, CO.: